Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Official End of Summer



Tonight was my last concert of the season at the Hollywood Bowl. The show was called "A Night at the Copa with Pink Martini and Bebel Gilberto."

Brazilian singer Bebel Gilberto opened the show. Her singing was accompanied by lots of chimes and bird calls. GeezBob, who saw the show on Friday night, predicted I would "hate" her singing. That overstated it a bit, I was more "bored" by it than anything else.

But I spent most of her time on stage chuckling because I kept remembering GeezBob's spot-on imitation of her dramatic arm gestures.

But the evening was saved by the second half of the show, a performance by the 12-piece, Portland, Oregon based band, Pink Martini. They are described as something between a 1930s Cuban dance orchestra, a classical chamber music ensemble, a Brazilian marching street band and Japanese film noir.

Their lead singer, China Forbes, sang in English, French, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Portuguese. I didn't understand it all, but is sure did sound real purty.

For the Grand Finale they were joined by The Lions of Batucada, a Brazilian-style marching samba ensemble (photo above). They did a couple of great numbers and it seemed like I was back in Rio for Carnival.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: