Monday, April 18, 2005

Get a Bigger Truck

Yesterday I saw the touring revival of "The King and I" at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. The L.A. Times review described the show as a not very good "bus and truck" version of the revival that hit Broadway in 1996.

This is actually the second national tour to come from the Broadway revival. Sadly, the L.A. Times was pretty accurate.

Stephanie Powers stars as "I" -- the school teacher who moves to Siam to teach the King's children. She's OK, but really played the role like it's a broad comedy. I kept waiting for a spit-take.

Ronobir Lahiri plays the "King" and he was terrible. I may not be the fittest guy around, but I'm sorry - if you're doing a role with your shirt off for most of the show, do a few sit-ups. Surely he could find an Abs class somewhere.

I saw the revival on Broadway in 1996 when it starred Lou Diamond Phillips and Donna Murphy. (L.D.P. clearly had found a local Abs class.) I remember it was a very lavish production at the Neil Simon Theater.

But I guess when you're going out on the road you can only put so much scenery on the truck.

No comments: