Friday, April 15, 2005

Cara Mia

Today started out very early for me. I was at the Bel Age Hotel shortly after 7:00 a.m. for a Breakfast speech by Gov. Howard Dean, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

I was pleased to attend as a guest of GeezBob and the good people of Reed & Davidson.

Interesting speaker. A couple times during his speech he seemed like he was fixin' to explode. His voice got louder, he turned red and the veins in his neck started bulging. Of course, I was rooting for him to blow. But he kept pulling back.

Had a couple of Celebrity Sightings at the breakfast: Wilson Cruz, most noted for his performance in the television show "My So Called Life" was in attendance. And Judith Light sat at the table next to mine. She touched me once as she walked by. A brush with greatness, I suppose.

I spotted Hollywood Director Bob King across the room. I didn't say hello. King ran against me for Student Council when we were in High School. I'm still bitter. Not so much because of the conduct of the campaign, but mostly because he won.

Susan Martin, of our Dodger Season Ticket Group, was seated to my left. Martin, a school teacher, told me this was her first political event. She seemed to get the biggest kick out of how candidates for various office would walk right up to our table and launch into a 30 second pitch about themselves and their campaigns. I started tuning it out years ago, but I can see how through her eyes it all must seem pretty weird.

And on my right was the highly spirited Liz Smagala -- a regular reader -- of Reed and Davidson. Her people are from Poland, so we talked about the Pope's recent death and how he shined a spotlight on his homeland. Smagala was last spotted in the valet waiting area with a cellphone in one hand and a "Bill Rosendahl for City Council" sign in the other. Me thinks she was calling the HQ in search of unadorned lawns needing signs on her way to her office.

Did you catch my name in the Los Angeles Times today? The TV - Radio column in the Sports section reported the Associated Press Television-Radio Association of California and Nevada presented an award to "anchor Damon Andrews and producer Ted Green for a feature they did on Bret Saberhagen.....Green is a former Times sportswriter."

I don't run across other Ted Greens too often. There was one in the Arizona Young Republicans who was best known for getting into fist fights. And there is a Ted Green Chevrolet in Vermont. At least now I know why every now and then someone says to me, "Did you used to write for the L.A. Times?"

Spent tonight watching another theatrical debacle at the Kodak Theater -- "Tango Forever." Or as I came to think of it -- "Tango Forgettable." No story or plot in the show -- just people dancing the tango. Some of the numbers were interesting but ultimately it all looks the same. The same would be true if they ever had a "Perchance Polka" or "Whatta Waltz."

And the production values at the Kodak Theater continue to be shockingly bad. The sound was terrible. You couldn't hear the singer and the sound mix of the orchestra was awful, with the sound muddled and dominated by the two bass players. And loud! Lots of folks in the first few rows moved to rows further back.

The lighting was no better than the sound. It was often so dim I considered setting up a check-up with my opthamologist.

And when will Claude Clawdiddlehopper, seated behind me, figure out that the music of Argentina wasn't written for American audiences to clap along to?

On a positive note, I can now say I've seen an orchestra with four accordions in the front row. So there you go.

Some of the dancing was good. I especially liked it when the women kicked their legs fast and high between their male partner's legs. There's a move you don't want to miss on.

But ultimately it was all too Gomez and Morticia Addams for me.

No comments: