Friday, December 17, 2004

Working On My To-Do List

With the Golden Globe nominations out I've been busy this week seeing nominated movies. I don't think I'll get to see all of them before I leave the country, but I want to get as far down the list as I can. Here's what I saw this week:

Closer -- I liked it better as a play. It was more shocking as live theater, but I still don't get the point.

Finding Neverland -- A touching, sweet movie. It was all the better because I saw "Peter Pan" for the first time last month.

Ray -- Great music (of course). And I learned a lot about Ray Charles' career. I'm really glad I got to see him perform at the Hollywood Bowl a couple of summers ago.

Kinsey -- They did a good job of dramatizing an academic story. And I enjoyed the cameos by Jeffrey Epperson (aka Lypsinka) and Jonathan Mays, the star of "I Am My Own Wife."

But the best movie I saw this week -- Pedro Almodovar's "Bad Education" didn't even get a nomination. As Julie Andrews would say, it was "egregiously overlooked."

No comments: