Monday, December 01, 2008


Sunday I went to see "The Little Dog Laughed" at the Kirk Douglas Theater in Culver City. I first saw this show on Broadway in 2006 and was thrilled to see Julie White reprising her Tony Award-winning performance as "Diane" the uber-monster Hollywood Talent Agent.

I certainly liked this show better the second time around. Two years ago I was really bothered by the slurs in Douglas Carter Beane's witty script. This time -- not so much. Maybe that's because I knew what to expect or maybe it's because this time I heard a hesitation in the Los Angeles audience's willingness to laugh at them.

Interestingly, the L.A. audience also didn't get the put down of the New York Post nor did they really laugh at the dismissal of theater in Los Angeles. (In describing the solution to the problem of cellphones in the theater, Julie explains that Los Angeles dealt with it by simply doing away with theater.) They roared with self-satisfaction in New York.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: