Monday, December 29, 2008


Saturday I took in "Cadillac Records" about Chess Records and the recording of "race music," as it was called in the 50s.

I wanted to like this movie but I just didn't find it very interesting. I did, however, like the parade of lovely, gigantic Cadillacs from the era.

Sometimes you just can't win for trying. Originally I set out to see "Waltz With Bashir," an Israeli film nominated for Best Foreign Language Picture at the Laemmele Royale Theater. I got to the theater about 45 minutes before the second showing of the day and figured I'd just sit in one of the comfy chairs in the theater lobby and read my newspaper. After I bought my ticket the theater manager told me I couldn't come in until 15 minutes before the show began. She suggested I "go to a coffee shop or a library" to read the newspaper.

At that point I demanded a refund, wished the manager "good luck with your business" and made my way to see "Cadillac Records" at the Regency Fairfax. As you can see from the photo above, the theater heater wasn't working. And they weren't kidding -- it was freezing inside. But I wore my jacket and kept my hands in my pockets and toughed it out.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: