Monday, April 07, 2008

Gimme Shelter


Tonight I went to see a new coming-of-age movie called "Shelter." It's a touching movie about love and acceptance.

But what I think I like best about it was it's set in between the world of the Palos Verdes "haves" and the San Pedro "have nots." I spent a happy year or two at the Tree Tops Nursery School in San Pedro.

And I enjoyed their use of the Vincent Thomas Bridge as a scenic backdrop. I always liked the Vincent Thomas Bridge. But when I was little there was a nearby rickety old drawbridge I liked even better. I used to beg my parents to drive over it whenever we were going between Long Beach and Wilmington. It always seemed like such a hard-worker to me, much more so than the beautifully soaring Vincent Thomas Bridge. But when you come down to it, I think I really liked the little drawbridge better because the road surface was a lot louder when you drove over it.

I took the photo above at the courtyard of the shopping center at 8000 Sunset Boulevard. Right after I took it a security guard snapped at me, "no photos!" When I asked why he said it was because of "security." How ridiculous. If you're going to take a formerly homely courtyard and make it pretty by hanging some lamps you've got to expect people to take photos. Especially when they don't have any other photos for their blog.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: