Sunday, April 08, 2007

My Kind of Church


Today is the day when all devout Christians go to church.

I went to the circus. Grandmother Green would not approve.

I've always wanted to see the inside of Madison Square Gardens and I've been reading about the new edition of the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus.

So when I realized (on Friday) that the circus and I were in New York City at the same time I got a ticket.

Each year Ringling Bros. launches a new edition of the circus which begins a two year tour in January in Tampa, Florida. There are two units of the Ringling Bros. circus traveling separately throughout the year -- the Blue Unit and the Red Unit.

Last summer I saw the Blue Unit seven months into its two year tour in Los Angeles. Ringling Bros. attempted to "modernize" the circus to reach a younger audience. They got rid of the three rings and tried to look like a video game. It was awful.

If the new edition of the Red Unit (four months into its tour) is any indication, Ringling Bros. isn't going to make that mistake again. All the classic elements of a circus (which is WHY one goes to the circus) are back.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: