Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ready for Takeoff?



Flew up to San Francisco tonight for a meeting tomorrow.

Several seconds after the airplane I was on started to roll down the runway, gaining speed, the pilot reversed the engines and slammed on the brakes.

Knowing that we were taking off on the southern runway at LAX -- considered the most dangerous and the locale of many close calls -- it was a little frightening. After we pulled off the runway the pilot explained that once the engines were gunned for takeoff some indicators went off signaling a potential problem.

Whatever the problem was it was quickly solved, however the plane's brakes were now too hot for us to take off. So we had to wait while they cooled. We took off, successfully on the second attempt, about 45 minutes late. But I appreciate being on a safe flight.

By coincidence, a dear old friend -- Scott Adamson -- was on the same flight. We rode into The City together and had a nice chance to catch up. We couldn't remember when we last saw each other but agreed it had to have been at least 5 years.

I had a great dinner tonight at the Oriental Pearl Restaurant in Chinatown on the recommendation of my hotel's concierge.

On the way to the restaurant a man walking with his large family asked me if I could recommend a nearby restaurant. I told him I wasn't from the area but I was going to the Oriental Pearl.

Midway through my meal the man came over and told me once he was inside the restaurant he realized he had been there eight years ago and thanked me for directing him back to a place he enjoyed.

Of all the restaurants in Chinatown....


Posted by Picasa

No comments: