Sunday, July 23, 2006

How To Ruin A Circus



The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus rolled into Los Angeles this week, and I saw it tonight at the Staples Center.

I've been going to the Ringling Bros. Circus off and on since I was a little kid. When I heard this year's edition was a radical reinvention of the venerable "Greatest Show on Earth" I immediately got tickets.

So disappointing! I know the circus is under lots of competitive (and PC pressure). But this edition just seemed cut-rate to me.

Gone are the three rings. Inserted is a narrative having to do with a family "picked" from the audience who get to experience their circus fantasies right before our very eyes.

Gone are almost all of the great big thrills.

If the circus is a dying art form, this edition tells me it's gone to the ICU.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: