Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Well, I finally got to see "South Pacific" Sunday afternoon and now I understand why it won 7 Tony Awards in June. What a smashing show!

As the glorious Richard Rogers's overture begins the stage draws back to reveal the orchestra playing below. What a beautiful moment and a clear sign to the audience that we are in the hands of masters.

Brazilian-born opera singer Paulo Szot (Tony winner) sings the heck out of the role of Emile de Becque. And Kelli O'Hara (who had the misfortune of going up against Patti LuPone for the Tony) is absolutely perfect in the role of the ideal American girl, Ensign Nellie Forbush.

Though I've heard some of the music performed in concert, I'd never seen this show before nor had I seen the movie. So when the element of racism was introduced in the story at the end of Act I it felt like a knife in my side, especially coming at the end of a week where the brutality of racism was so apparent in the Presidential campaign. I was so in love with Nellie Forbush it just killed me when she showed her imperfection.

But worry not -- it's a Broadway musical from 1949 so it all works out.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: