Tuesday, October 14, 2008


This was an amazing night at the theater! Once I knew I was going to New York and seeing the Sunday matinee of "South Pacific" I thought I'd check and see if there were any shows I was interested in seeing running Sunday night. I'd heard about "[title of show]" and bought a ticket to the 7:30 p.m. performance.

A few weeks after I bought my ticket the show posted its Closing Notice and it turns out I held a ticket to the final performance.

I'd only heard a little bit about this show about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical. I knew the show started small off off-Broadway, made it to off-Broadway and eventually transferred to the Great White Way.

Apparently I was the only one in the theater not in the know. The audience was packed with friends and family of the cast and fervent fans of the show. At first I was worried the audience's over-the-top response was going to spoil the show. For instance, two of the cast members got a standing ovation when they first came on stage COMPLETELY IN THE DARK.

I needn't have worried. It's a very touching and funny show about following your dreams -- even if they are as crazy as writing a show for Broadway.

Once the show was over the crowd gave the performers a standing ovation that went on and on and on. The cast soaked it all in and cried a little bit. I felt so lucky to be there to see it for myself.

Every time this show has taken a step in it's development the script has changed to reflect that progress. Even though it closed on Broadway Sunday night I don't think this show is through being written.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: