Sunday, June 05, 2005

Tony Awards



Had a great time tonight at the Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall. We were inside well before it started and the photo above is the view from our seats. I had to smuggle my camera inside, so I took very few photos inside the building.

Four of us attended -- my friend and colleague, Renne Rose; her sister-in-law Cecilia; my friend John DeGregorio and myself.

It was a great show and Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job as host. He talked to the crowd during the commercial breaks and they showed some funny Broadway clips.

I wasn't surprised by any of the awards and am glad that "Spamalot" was limited in the number of awards it won. I knew it would win Best Musical and was hoping it wouldn't win an additional boatload of awards (it didn't).

On the way out I had a chance to say hello to Jess Goldstein, who won a Tony for Best Costume Design of a Play for "The Rivals." He said he was glad his work was remembered because the show closed some time ago, after a good run at the Lincoln Center. We also said hello to Jon Cryer, of "Two and a Half Men" on the way out with his Mother.

Earlier in the day I attended the matinee of "The Pillowman" and was really pulling for it and Billy Crudup to win. It's a creepy and thought provoking play about storytelling, writer's responsibilities and, oh yeah, child murders.

Now it's time to say goodbye to the Center of the Universe, as I refer to New York City, and return to Los Angeles tomorrow.
Posted by Hello

No comments: