Thursday, June 09, 2005

Better Live Than TiVo



Flew up to San Francisco today to attend the mid-year meeting of the Junior Statesmen Foundation's Board of Trustees. It was a gorgeous afternoon. Above is the view from my hotel room at the San Francisco Hilton looking out towards the San Francisco Bay -- you can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.

After the meeting I grabbed a quick dinner at Sears Fine Food near Union Square. It's not "Sears" as in the catalog, but rather a long time, classic diner in San Francisco. For decades they were only open for breakfast and lunch; but recently under new ownership and after an extensive remodel they are open until 10:00 p.m. The turkey dinner is excellent!

Tonight I caught "Hush Up, Sweet Charlotte" at the Lorraine Hansberry Theatre. It's a campy little show based on the famous Bette Davis movie "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte." It stars one of my favorite actor/actresses -- Jeffery Roberson aka Varla Jean Merman playing Cousin Miriam Deering. Varla Jean claims to be the illegitimate love child of Ernest Borgnine and Ethel Merman. According to the credits, Varla Jean made her network television debut on ABC's "All My Children" in the recurring role of lady of the evening Rosemary Chicken.

I actually tried to TiVo "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" a couple of weeks ago, but it turns out I don't have the cable channel it was running on. But I guess now I can say I've seen the story.
Posted by Hello

No comments: