Saturday, October 23, 2004

Keeping Up With the Joneses

Up early this morning -- this time for a breakfast speech to the California State NAACP convention in Sacramento on Proposition 68. I did my best to be lively -- even got some laughs from the crowd.

I'm just glad I didn't have to follow their President, Alice Huffman, who got most of the crowd on their feet with her stirring defense of the economic justice of Indian Gaming which crescendoed with her declaration, "if they were sovereign when they were poor, then they are sovereign when they are rich!" It was a relief to have already made my presentation -- because I know I would have been a "whimper" to her "bang."

Celebrity Sighting: At breakfast I sat next to former California Secretary of State and current U.S. Senate candidate Bill Jones. He also addressed the breakfast. (Boxer is the luncheon speaker.) With the current sad state of his campaign it was hard for me to come up with much small talk beyond, "you must be real busy these days." He seemed happy to sit silently and stew, anyway.

No comments: