Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Summer Must Never Die!



One Tuesday evening in early August JeezBob invited me to the Hollywood Bowl to see Gustavo Dudamel conduct Verdi's Requiem featuring the Los Angeles Master Chorale.

I'm no Opera buff and really had no idea what to expect.  I didn't learn until that evening that a requiem is the musical setting of the Roman Catholic funeral mass.  So an Up With People Concert it is not.

But I found it to be quite lovely and in parts very thrilling.  The requiem builds to thunderous descriptions of hellfire and tribulation.  Loud drums, opera singers belting to the back rows.  I loved those parts.

The quiet parts not so much.  But it was very relaxing to be outdoors at the Hollywood Bowl, which is simply one of the most beautiful, spectacular spots on earth.  (Or am I getting carried away Verdi-style?)

I agree with the Los Angeles Times critic -- especially his criticism of the shoddy big-screen camera work.  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-dudamel-requiem-bowl-review-20130815,0,2595837.story


No comments: