Monday, February 18, 2008

Who You Wearing?


Saturday night I went to see Joan Rivers' show, "A Work in Progress by a Life in Progress" at the Geffen Playhouse.

Though not strictly a one-woman show (there are three other actors in it), it's an opportunity for Rivers to talk about her life, her career, her relationship with her late husband and daughter and to settle a few scores (Johnny Carson doesn't turn out too well).

Every now and then the lights would go down on the other actors and Rivers would basically turn to a stand-up style of delivery. The show would really take of when she'd do that. She can still slay an audience.

However, I could have done without the scene where she paints her toenails on stage.

The last time I saw Joan Rivers perform live was January 19, 1981 at USC. You might wonder how I could possibly remember the exact date. Well, that was the evening of my 18th birthday. I remember it well.

Celebrity Sighting: Went back to Jerry's Famous Deli for dinner before the show. Fortunately, the kitchen had its act together this time and I was actually able to eat there. Mark Feuerstein, who is starring in the small theater at the Geffen in Neil LaBute's "Some Girl(s)" was having a pre-show dinner. When did Jerry's become the un-official canteen for the Geffen Playhouse? Well, it certainly is convenient to the theater.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: