Sunday, February 10, 2008

I Hate to Lose....Things


Flew home from San Francisco (photo above) Thursday night. After my flight took off I went to check my watch to figure out what time we'd be landing at LAX and it was gone! I couldn't remember taking it off and I remembered looking at it earlier in the evening.

I thought maybe it had come off while I was taking off my coat so I got down on my hands and knees and looked under my seat. I asked the flight attendant it anyone had turned in a black watch. I explained it wasn't very valuable but I'd had it a long time and I hate losing things. But there was no sign of it.

I spent the rest of the hour stewing about life without my watch. Should I now just live watchless and get the time off my mobile phone? Should I start wearing a watch a friend gave me as a gift at Christmastime? Should I go out and buy another black Swatch watch?

As we landed the flight attendant made an announcement asking if anyone had found a black watch (which I thought was very nice). But I was resigned to the fact my little friend was gone.

We landed and as I opened the overhead compartment (where no items had shifted in flight) there was my watch, sitting patiently waiting for me to find it. Apparently I busted the buckle while putting my bag in the overhead.

Friday night I went to the Swatch store in the Beverly Center where they replaced the buckle free of charge. The clerk seemed impressed that someone was still wearing a Swatch watch purchased in 1991. (I didn't remember which year I bought it but the clerk was able to read some tiny lettering on the watch's face that includes the year it was manufactured.)

Saturday night I went to see the Reprise! production of "Li'l Abner" at the Freud Playhouse at UCLA.

The show opened on Broadway in November, 1956 and ran for 693 performances and captured 3 Tony Awards.

It's a fun show based on the famed cartoon strip with quite a collection of characters from Dogpatch. Cathy Rigby stars as Mammy Yokum -- and boy if she can't still do flip-flops on stage. Fred Willard shows up as General Bullmoose. And Eric Martsolf -- www.ericmartsolf.com -- certainly impresses as Abner Yokum.

But it's the lyrics by Johnny Mercer that make this a winning show.

Several demerits, however, to T. J. Hoban, who makes a brief appearance on stage as one of the "After-Husbands," for cutting me off in the parkling lot following the show.

Celebrity Sighting: Before the show GeezBob and I had dinner at Jerry's Famous Deli in Westwood. While waiting for dinner to be cooked we spotted Joan Rivers, whose own one-woman show (which I'm seeing next Saturday) is running at the Geffen Playhouse two blocks from Jerry's. (Unfortunately, I'd gone off without bringing my camera.)

The kitchen at Jerry's was really slow last night. 40 minutes after placing our order the food finally arrived. GeezBob's Chicken Schnitzel was burned and my Taco Salad ordered without tomatoes or salsa came with both tomatoes AND salsa. We were in danger of missing the curtain so we told the manager we were leaving. The lady at the booth next to us -- who also was distressed by how slow the kitchen was -- seemed impressed by our action. "Look, Irv, they're leaving," she said to her husband.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: