Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Good Turn



My fellow jurors and I reported to Judge Veal's courtroom at 10:30 a.m. this morning as ordered. After waiting in the hallway for a while we were called into the courtroom. Judge Veal quickly informed us the case had been "disposed" and there would be no trial and we were released from jury service. We all broke out into applause.

The defendant, now handcuffed to a chair, looked forlorn. Too late to take back that plea bargain, I imagine.

On the way downtown I got pulled over -- again -- by a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff. This time for "improperly executing a U-turn." It's perfectly legal to make a U-Turn at the intersection of San Vicente and Santa Monica Boulevards. The Deputy Sheriff claimed I "pulled too far out into the intersection." He said to make a U-Turn you're just supposed to edge barely past the limit line and you should only pull out as far as I did if you're making a left turn.

I always pull well into the intersection to 1) make others aware that I'm turning and 2) to allow as many people as possible in the left turn lane to actually turn.

The Deputy Sheriff didn't give me a ticket, just a lecture (again). He did ask me sarcastically, "where did you learn to drive?" I deadpanned, "I took Driver's Education from the Los Angeles Unified School District."

Six years later and we can't find Osama bin Laden. But I stick the nose of my car "too far into the intersection" and off go the lights and sirens. What's wrong with this picture?

Oh well, I found a dime on the sidewalk near the Courthouse -- so I'm still up on the day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: