Saturday, September 09, 2006

Hello, Neighbor



Last night I went to see the Reprise! production of "My One and Only -- The Gershwin Musical" at the UCLA Freud Playhouse.

"My One and Only" opened on Broadway in 1983 starring Tommy Tune and Twiggy. It's a collection of Gershwin songs ('S Wonderful, Strike Up The Band, Funny Face, How Long Has This Been Going On) assembled around a simple plot (1920s pilot wants to be the first to fly solo to Paris but is distracted by a lovely girl in the clutches of an evil man.)

Broadway regular Rachel York leads the cast with a beautiful voice and an undeniable stage presence.

Legendary Betty Garrett (photo above) shows up as "Madam Magix" and tap dances up a storm in the Second Act. Though she has lots of stage and movie credits (including co-starring with Frank Sinatra in "On The Town"), Garrett is probably best known for playing Irene Lorenzo, Edith Bunker's friend and Archie's nemesis in "All in the Family."

Speaking of Archie Bunker, I had an encounter yesterday morning that left me speechless, literally.

I was at the IHOP in Ventura, minding my own business, waiting in front of the restaurant for a table. In my lap I had my traditional stack of newspapers, with Wednesday's New York Times on top.

A seemingly nice lady and her approximately 9-year old daughter walked up and sat next to me on the bench waiting for their table.

The lady looked at my stack of newspapers and said, "Oh, the New York Times, you must be a Democrat."

"Republicans read the New York Times too," I replied.

The lady replied, "I just got a personalized letter from President Bush about a month ago. I watch Fox News. THAT paper is trying to assassinate our President." (I'm not making this up.)

"I don't see it that way," I replied.

And she said slowly, "That's....because....you're....a....liberal."

Fortunately, the host called my name and I was able to escape the labeler. Good thing I didn't show her the Wall Street Journal I was carrying. That would have really thrown her for a loop.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Ted, I adore Rachel York and have had the good fortune of seeing her shine in everything from "City of Angels" to "Victor Victoria" to "Kiss Me Kate" to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels." She's an undeniable talent who's deserving of a much wider audience than she's enjoyed to date.

As for the New York Times, I wonder if it ever occurred to the lady that the only reason why narrow-minded right wingers have labeled the paper in a particular way is because THEY read it, too?!