Saturday, November 27, 2004

A New Perspective

Enjoyed seeing Tony Kushner's new musical "Caroline, or Change" at the Ahmanson Theater last night.

I originally saw this show when I was in NYC to attend the Tony Awards. I was part of a group of five seeing the show in June. Unfortunately, I was the only one of the five who enjoyed it.

And seeing it for the second time tonight (with apologies to Renee and Myrna who REALLY disliked it in June) I enjoyed it even more. The struggle of two broken families -- one white and one black -- is very touching.

The lead actress, Tonya Pinkins', voice was even stronger tonight than in June. And Anika Noni Rose, who won a Tony for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, proved herself as deserving as ever.

But I think the real reason I enjoyed it even more was, after six years, I finally got new eyeglasses this week. It really makes a difference when you can see the actors on stage.

No comments: