Sunday, October 11, 2009


Friday afternoon I attended a Celebration of Life for Sally Redewill in Indian Wells.

When I was 13 my mother married Les Redewill. Sally was Les' mother. There never was any pretense that Sally became a grandmother to me, but she always was kind and friendly.

At the service I talked about my memories of the great parties Sally threw. As a young teenager I hadn't really been exposed to much adult socializing and I remember how classy Sally's soirees seemed to me and how interesting I found all of her friends.

Sally's four grandchildren organized a lovely memorial at the church she attended.

What's odd is between the funeral and the wedding I've visited with nearly every living blood relative I have in the span of just 24 hours. When my parents divorced I was very much an only child. But now I'm an only child with six brothers and sisters (three half-sisters, one half-brother, one step-brother and one step-sister).

And I can't remember a time in the last 25 years that I've seen them all at nearly the same time. Along with every one of my aunts and uncles (2 aunts, 2 uncles) and even a cousin. Add in spouses and all the children from previous and current marriages. Plus I met most of the family of Garnet's new husband, Jim. And they all seem to like my blog!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: