Monday, June 01, 2009

Make Mine a Double -- Stat


Friday night I went to the Edgemar Center for the Arts in Santa Monica to see their production of "The Miracle Worker" -- the story of Helen Keller and the teacher who figured out how to communicate with a girl who was blind and deaf.

I'd never seen the show before and enjoyed this company's spirited production.

A group of visually-impaired young people were part of the audience. After the show they were invited onto the stage to meet the actors along with touching the sets and costumes. I got pressed into photo duty -- which I was happy to do.

During the intermission three of the young people went to the bar next to the theater. As the audience was called back into the theater for the second act the last thing I saw was the three adventurers being seated at a cocktail table. Since their theater seats were in the front row their absence was pretty noticeable. One of their chaperons came up and asked to no one in particular, "Where are they?" When I said, "They're in the bar next door," she shot me a withering look -- clearly indicating "that's not a funny joke." Once she realized I wasn't kidding she scurried off to collect her charges. They held the second act curtain and soon enough the young people were back in their seats. I never did find out if they'd had enough time to get served.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: