Sunday, January 27, 2008


I'm still scratching my head after seeing "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" at the Kirk Douglas Theater last night.

I admit I didn't know much about our nation's 8th President -- his decision to drive Native Americans west from their homelands or his efforts to make Florida part of the United States.

But I couldn't get past the artistic decision to present this story as an emo rock concert. Somehow an anthem like "Populism, Yea, Yea" just seemed odd to me.

And I couldn't get past characters from the 1820s talking like Valley Girls from the 1980s.

I know this was supposed to be a wry indictment of the current Bush Administration. But unlike "Spring Awakening" (which I loved) the modern staging of this show really bugged me. But it also fascinated me. Like I said, I'm still scratching my head.

But here's one interesting tidbit on Old Hickory from the program - Jackson's pet parrot attended his funeral, but, unfortunately, had to be removed from the service due to his non-stop swearing.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: