Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hubbub


I spent the past weekend in San Diego for the California Republican Party Convention.

I arrived at the hotel on Friday at just about the same time as Meg Whitman. I happened to stumble upon the little welcome rally her campaign organized at a side door of the hotel. In this photo you can se her shaking hands while riding an esclator (which doesn't seem terribly safe to me).

I had this ironic thought at the time: The very first California Republican Party Convention I ever attended was in 1978 at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. At the tender age of 15 I was recruited to be part of the crowd welcoming Evelle Younger, the GOP nominee for Governor, to the convention hotel. I can still remember how excited I was to stand on the sidewalk waving a sign. The crowd followed Attorney General Younger and his wife into the hotel lobby where Younger delivered a little speech from a landing above a staircase at the end of the lobby.

The irony is Younger's opponent in the Governor's race was Jerry Brown. Does that mean I get to be 15 again?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: